Pages - Menu

January 24, 2013

American cookies

I am not really into american sweet treats like doughnuts, cupcakes and layered cakes with cream cheese frosting. 
I find them too heavy and too sweet to my taste. But cookies are my favorite. 



We have the similar kind of cookies in France, we call them Sablé (it is made with butter sugar egg and flour) . I will do a post later about Sablé.

I like them just out of the oven because they are still gooey in the inside and crisp on the outside. With a cup of tea it is the perfect treat for a cold winter day. This week the weather is so so cold... 2˚F (-17˚C) yesterday and today it's snowing . So I am in a mood to have a nice warm cup of tea.  And I can not have tea without any sweets to go with . So today is cookies day !!

I have a book called "1 dough, 100 cookies" by Linda Doeser that my mom bought me. There is a basic recipe and then you can make 100 types of cookies  with fruits, nuts, jam. They are quick and easy to make.
I have tried already the double chocolate chips and the almond with raspberries jam cookies.



But today is going to be the original chocolate chips cookie. There are so classic and comforting.

Here is the recipe (makes about 30):
Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened
3/4 cup sugar ( I use brown sugar, I prefer the taste)
2 tbs vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips 
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven 375˚F/190˚C. Line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon, then beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Sift together the flour, salt and chocolate chips, and stir until combined.
3. Scoop up tablespoons of the mixture and shape into balls. Put them on the prepared cookie sheets spaced well apart and flatten slightly.
4. Bake for 12-15min. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely or not if you are like me and you can not wait to eat them all.

There are so many recipes in this book to try but the next one that has catched my eyes is the recipe with hazelnut and Nutella. Looks yummy !! Who does not like Nutella ? 



An hot cup of earl grey tea and a few cookies and I am fine for this cold winter afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Now I just want to go and run in the kitchen and start baking cookies! They look delicious! I wish I was there to try them out!

    ReplyDelete